Let me start off by saying that I have never been a huge fan of Valentines Day, especially when I was single. I always saw it as a fake holiday that greeting card companies made up to make more money! That was until I met Kate… All of a sudden cynical Christina turned into celebratory Christina! Sentences like “I guess Valentines Day isn’t that bad”, and “I love Kate, why not show her that especially on Valentines Day” started to come out of my mouth. We don’t celebrate with roses or heart shaped candy or an expensive dinner out, instead I make a beautiful dinner at home and we take time out of busy schedules to celebrate our love.
Speaking of love, I love this recipe I think its an adorable way to celebrate Valentines Day. Whether you share this with your partner, family, friends, children or all of the above I promise everyone will be touched by these heart centred cupcakes.
1) Preheat oven to 200 Degrees, or 180 fan forced.
2) Pour Simply Cake Batter into a 20 x 30cm baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
3) Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out 18 hearts. Set aside until needed.
4) Spoon Chocolate batter into lined cupcake tins, once you have about 1/3 of each cupcake filled place one heart in each making sure that the heart is standing up.
5) Next, carefully spoon the remaining batter around and over the hearts (Turn all the hearts one way in the cupcake tray so you will remember which way they are facing once the cupcakes are baked).
6) Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until completely cooked. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
7) While your cupcakes are cooling make your buttercream icing and add as much or as little red food colouring to it.
8) Once your cupcakes are completely cool cut them in half making sure that you don’t cut the cupcake liner. Pipe icing onto your cupcakes and decorate.
Note: you can play around with this recipe and reverse it by having chocolate hearts in a vanilla cupcake.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx