“On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me five golden rings…” It’s the one line in the 12 days of Christmas that you can guarantee everyone will sing along to in almost perfect harmony.For as long as I can remember every time I have sang along I always picture pineapple rings, not wedding rings or halo’s but pineapple rings – Clearly even as a Child I was obsessed with food. So it goes without saying that the only thing that I could possibly make was an upside down pineapple cake. This recipe is as easy as it gets, and yes I know its very retro and some might even say daggy but umm hello look at whose website your on right now, do you expect anything less than retro and daggy? I use the canned pineapples in syrup for this recipe, I’ve tried fresh but it just isn’t the same and because the pineapple comes in a syrup theres no need to make a sugar syrup yourself. So who cares if this dessert is daggy because it’s what your Grandmother used to make? Remember how amazed you were every time she would turn the cake out to reveal the pineapples and how cool you thought it was? Let’s bring back those nostalgic times! Let’s bring back Upside Down Pineapple Cake!
1) Preheat your oven to 200C or 180 fan forced.
2) Open the can of pineapples and arrange pineapples along the base of a 25cm cake tin. Next pour in 5 tablespoons of syrup or just enough to coat all of the base.
3) Pour the Simply Cake batter into the cake tin and place in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
4) Allow the cake to cool slightly for 15 minutes then turn it out onto a wire rack to continue to cool completely.
5) To serve place on a cake stand and dust liberally with icing sugar. I like to serve mine with double cream or ice cream just for that little extra indulgence.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx