Its that time of the year folks! That’s right, it’s Footy Finals Time in the wonderful land of Oz! Now anyone who knows me knows that I’m not a huge sports fan, however my 10 year old Son loves all forms of sport and Footy is favourite! So with the NRL Grand Final on this weekend (And the American Super Bowl just around the corner) I thought what better time than now to share my one of my family’s favourite snacks…… (Drum Roll Please)…… Spicy Buffalo Wings! I have put my own unique spin on this dish, instead of Hot Sauce I am using Nandos Mild Peri Peri Sauce. If you have Hot Sauce at home you can use that and of course you can make your own Peri Peri sauce, but this is a quick and easy recipe for when you’d rather be watching a game than be in the kitchen! Give my Spicy Buffalo Wings a go, and you’ll never be able to watch a game without a bowl of them again! A word of advice I like to put these wings marinading the morning that I plan to use them, but if you forget try and marinade them for at least an hour.
1) Place chicken wings, buttermilk, garlic powder and 1/3 cup of Nandos Peri Peri Sauce in a bowl and toss until all the wings are well coated. Cover in cling film and place in the fridge to marinade for between 1 to 12 hours.
2) Preheat your oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
3) Remove half the wings from the marinade (allowing the excess marinade to drip off) and place into the zip lock bag along with half the flour. Seal the bag and then shake, making sure that all the wings are evenly coated with flour.
4) Tumble the floured wings into a large nonstick baking tray, making sure that they don’t overlap and drizzle with half the olive oil.
5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 with the other half of the chicken wings. Then place both trays in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning the chicken wings half way through cooking.
6) Meanwhile Place the remaining Nandos Peri Peri Sauce in a sauce pan along with the butter and tomato sauce and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
7) While your wings are deep frying, carefully pour the Peri Peri sauce into a large bowl. Deep fry your chicken wings in batches at 180C for 5 minutes or until golden and crunchy. Drain the wings on a paper towel then toss in hot Peri Peri sauce. Serve with a side of Blue Cheese Dressing.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx