Makes 4 Cups
I love Italian meringue, personally its my favourite type of meringue. And what’s not to love? Sweet, gooey and (when hit with a blow torch) toasty! Italian meringue is the perfecting topping for a lemon curd tart, or piped onto cupcakes or in a baked Alaska to name just a few different uses. This meringue is the by far the most stable of all the meringues, once the hot syrup is poured into the beautifully fluffy egg whites and whipped it’s all done! No more cooking needed! Try my Italian meringue recipe, it has never failed me and I promise it will never fail you either!
1) Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat, making sure to stir continuously.
2) Once your sugar syrup has come to a boil reduce the heat to medium and brush the sides of the saucepan with a wet clean pastry brush to remove any sugar crystals.
3) Cook the syrup until it reaches 115C on a thermometer, about 10 – 15 minutes.
4) Start whisking eggwhites with cream of tartar in the clean, grease-free bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
5) Meanwhile, bring sugar syrup to 121C. Increase speed to high and with motor running and gradually pour syrup into meringue. Beat at medium speed until cooled to room temperature and meringue is thick and glossy, about 20 minutes.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx