Its that time of year again people, the weather is warming up, and invitations are coming in thick and fast! The first event of the party season in my household is Halloween and it’s just around the corner! The great thing about Halloween is that you can have lots of fun with your menu. Anything goes with what you have on offer for your guests, the spookier the better! Halloween encourages you to re-connect with your inner child, and this recipe does just that! You can prepare these Mummies ahead of time and then pop it in the oven when your ready, which will impress the most skeptical of guests.
1) Preheat oven to 220C. Line 2 baking trays with banking paper and set aside until needed.
2) Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Brown sausages all over, making sure you keep the heat low to help prevent the sausages from bursting open. Once cooked place the sausages to the side and allow them to completely cool.
3) Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife cut the pastry into 1/2 – 1cm thick strips.
4) Once your sausages are cool, wrap the puff pastry around them. Make sure you leave a little section towards one end exposed so you can later dot on your mummy eyes.
5) Place your mummies onto the baking trays leaving space between them all, then pop them in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden and puffy.
6) When your mummies have cooled slightly its time to dot on the eyes. Using a toothpick dab it into the mustard then onto the exposed sausage to create the eyes. Serve with tomato sauce and mustard spiderweb.
7) To make the tomato and mustard spiderweb, fill a ramekin with tomato sauce. Next swirl the mustard over the sauce creating a spiral. Then with a toothpick draw a cross and an x through the sauces creating the spiderweb pattern.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx