Serves 4 – 6
In honour of April Fool’s I decided to create my own little Fool, a Chocolate Fool. My version of this dish is not traditional, but then again this is in honour of April Fool’s so its fitting that my Chocolate Fool is no Fool at all! I will warn you this is a beautifully rich, decadent and highly addictive dessert. I guarantee that you will be craving it well after you’ve had your fair share, and really what’s not to crave? Sweet glossy Italian meringue, topped with silky smooth decadent chocolate and olive oil mousse, followed by crushed buttery shortcrust pastry and topped with another layer of Italian meringue this time hit with a blow torch to give it a toasty marshmallow flavour! Are you drooling? I know I am. Best bit is that you can make all the elements of this dish in advanced and then assemble when your ready to serve, so its the perfect dessert for any dinner party.
1) Preheat oven to 180C for your shortcrust pastry.
2) Make your shortcrust pastry, following steps 1 to 5. Then cut your pastry into whatever shapes you desire, I have chosen to cut them into triangles but you can choose whatever shapes you like.
3) Bake your pastry following steps 6 and 7 (excluding the use of a tart tin). Once the shortcrust pastry is cooked set aside to completely cool.
4) Meanwhile make your Italian meringue following all the steps. Spoon into a piping bag, or two and set aside in a cool spot in your kitchen until needed.
5) Make George’s chocolate and olive oil mousse following all the steps. Then set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
6) Now that your shortcrust pastry has completely cooled divide it into 2, I suggest putting all the “prettier” shapes to one side to decorate the top with. Crush the other half by wrapping it in a tea towel and hitting it with a rolling pin. I prefer to do it this way instead of using a food processor as it’s a great way to take out the days frustrations and you also end up with a better, more course crumb.
7) All your elements are ready and it’s time to assemble your Chocolate Fool. Pipe a little meringue into the bottom of your glass (about 1/4 of the way up). Next spoon in your chocolate mousse so it reaches just over the half way point of your glass. Then you want to sprinkle 1 – 2 tablespoons of shortcrust pastry crumb into your glass. Lastly pipe in some more of your Italian meringue and using a blow torch brown the outside slightly. Decorate with a few more pieces of shortcrust pastry and your done!
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx