“On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me two turtle doves…” Two turtle doves… Two turtle doves… Where on Earth do I find a recipe for turtle doves? This is what I pondered as I was brain storming recipes for day 2 of the 12 days of Christmas, when I had a craving for chocolate cupcakes. As I was mixing up a batch of these devilish cupcakes I had on those lightbulb moments. What if I should add some peppermint essence and decorate them with doves? This would turn them into Christmas Cupcakes, right?! And boy was I relieved, because quite frankly I didn’t want to have to cook turtle doves and I’m pretty sure none of you would want to either. So here are my Chocolatey Christmas Cupcake, they are adorable and fantastic anytime over the year – especially over Christmas. Decorate them any way you wish, Santa faces look adorable as does reindeer faces and even just piping them red and green. You will have to start this recipe the night before so your turtle dove cupcake toppers can harden, alternatively you can purchase cake toppers from any good cake supply store.
1) Starting 24hrs a head of time, roll out your white fondant until its approximately 3-5mm thick. Using a cookie cutter cut out your turtle doves and place on a lined baking tray. Leave out over night in a cool place to harden.
2) Preheat your oven to 160C and line a muffin tin.
3) Place chocolate and water in a saucepan and cook over a medium low heat for approximately 5 minutes or until the chocolate has melted and is smooth, making sure that you stir occasionally to prevent the chocolate from catching on the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the peppermint essence, allow to cool slightly.
4) Using an electric whisk beat eggs and butter until pale and creamy. Next add one egg at a time making sure it is incorporated before adding the next egg. Once all your eggs have been added your flours and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Next add your Chocolate mix and stir to combine.
5) Using a spoon (I like to use an ice cream scoop with a lever) evenly distribute into the lined muffin tins and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool before pipping.
6) Mix your buttercream icing and silver food colouring. Lastly decorate your tasty cupcakes by pipping buttercream icing on them and then topping them with a fondant turtle dove.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx