While on MasterChef I went into a breakfast elimination challenge at Gary’s Restaurant “The Boat House”. The brief was to make a breakfast dish that you love, something you love to start the day with. After a long think I decided to go with Portuguese style baked eggs. For me baked eggs for me are one of those deliciously complex breakfasts that just seem to hit all the right notes. My Portuguese baked eggs are the most requested breakfast in my house with my family and friends. So here is my Portuguese Baked Eggs! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
1) Preheat oven to 200 Degrees (or 190 fan forced). Heat oil and butter in a large oven proof frying pan. Once butter has melted gently sweat the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent (approx. 7-10 minutes)
2) Add your diced chorizo and cook until some of the fat starts to render out of the sausage. Add capsicum and continue to cook until capsicums have softened.
3) Next add the chilli, bay leaf, thyme, canned tomatoes, sugar and stock and bring to the boil. Once it has come to the boil reduce to a medium heat and cook until you have a beautifully rich thick sauce (approx. 10-15 minutes) remove the pan off the heat for the next step.
4) Using a wooden spoon make a well in your chorizo and tomato mix, then crack an egg into it. Repeat until you have used all four eggs. Making sure that you leave some space between the eggs.
5) Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper and bake in your preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
6) To serve, crumble the goat’s cheese all over and sprinkle coriander leaves from a height. Serve with crusty bread on the side and ENJOY!!
Cook from the heart and share your love of food with loved ones!