When I’m getting ready for a big day out I like to start the day off with a high protein breakfast, especially if I know that I am most likely going to be skipping some meals throughout the day. This Bacon & Mushroom Omelette is the perfect breakfast on such days, and best of all its super simple to prepare and very versatile. I like to use the Pukara Estate Caramelised Balsamic, as it gives a slight sweetness but if you can’t find that don’t worry you can use a sweet chilli sauce or leave it out completely. Don’t like mushrooms? Replace them with another vegetable such as capsicum. Want a vegetarian option? Replace the bacon with something else such as spinach for iron. You can add left overs such as roast chicken or sauté veggies from the night before, anything goes really. Just remember to have a little fun and don’t be scared to experiment a little!
1) Preheat your oven to 180C using the grill setting. Place butter and oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once your butter has melted and is starting to foam tumble in the bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until crispy.
2) Meanwhile crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and season with salt and pepper (about a teaspoon of each) and whisk until its all one colour and set aside until needed.
3) Once your bacon is crispy add the mushrooms, garlic and spring onion a sauté for a further 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms have soften.
4) Pour in your egg mixture, using a spatular move the mixture around the pan scraping from the outside toward the centre allowing the uncooked or runny egg mixture fill in the gaps. Cook until its 90% cooked then remove from the heat.
5) Sprinkle over the cheese and place under the grill to finish cooking and until the cheese is lovely and golden. Carefully remove from under the grill and allow to cool slightly.
6) Using a vegetable peeler, peel ribbons of asparagus and mix with the parsley leaves. Slide the omelette onto a serving tray or you can serve it in the pan you cooked it in, drizzle with Caramelised Balsamic or Sweet Chilli Sauce then garnish with parsley and asparagus.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx