We have all experienced family and friends ‘popping in’ unexpectedly and although most of the time we are more than happy to see them, there is the odd occasion where your less than happy as your fridge is looking bare. If your fridge is anything like mine before the weekly grocery shop there is wine, cheese and some vegetables in the crisper and the freezer isn’t looking much better with store bought puff pastry, vanilla ice cream and some mystery meat thats been sitting in there longer than you want to admit! This recipe was born on such a day, I served the tart with a beautiful garden salad and a crisp glass of white wine! So when you find yourself in this situation (or your after a delicious simple dish) give my Asparagus Tart a try!
1) Preheat your oven to 200C.
2) Place the puff pastry onto a greased baking tray. Lightly score a boarder into the puff pastry, approximately 1-2 cm in from the edge. Then prick the inner square all over using a fork.
3) Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
4) Sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese in the inner square of the puff pastry, topped with half of the preserved lemon. Then sprinkle the remaining cheese on the boarder.
5) Trim the bottom of the asparagus then arrange them on the pastry. Lightly brush the asparagus and exposed pastry with oil then season with salt and pepper.
6) Place the tart in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the remaining lemon.
Remember the secret to the perfect dish is to cook with love (and a little va va voom) xx